Mar 26, 2010

Mathematical Logic and Computability

I'll be teaching logic to graduate students in philosophy this coming semester. The textbook I'll use is H. Jerome Keisler et al.'s (1996) Mathematical Logic and Computability. Despite the fact that it has many typos, I like this book. It uses tableaus for proofs and register machines for computation. It contains a detailed treatment of Gödel's Incompleteness Theorems. The book's level is definitely more adequate for my purposes than Boolos and Jeffrey's Computability and Logic. I'll see how much of the book I can cover in two semesters.

The book is out of print, but I found a PDF version at the following URL:

http://www.cs.mum.edu/courses/corazza/LogicAndComputability.pdf

This version is different from the older version that shows up in Google Scholar. It's not exactly the same as the printed book, but it's very close. (The title page of the PDF version lists Paul Corazza, H. Jerome Keisler, Kenneth Kunen, Terrence Millar, Arnold Miller, and Joel Robbin as the authors.)

The review by Leon Harkleroad states that the definition of a recursively enumerable set in an exercise to Chapter 5 is incorrect. I see nothing wrong with the definition, which reads:

A subset AN is recursively enumerable (or r.e.) if A = ∅ or A is the range of a total computable function

The book comes with a software package designed for DOS and Windows. In the words of the authors, "The programs are copyrighted by the authors of this book and are part of the public domain." I can't find the software anywhere on the web, but fortunately I still keep the diskette that came with my copy of the book. I was able to run it on my Mac using CrossOver Mac. With WineBottler I had less success.

No comments :

Post a Comment